Monday, December 8, 2008

Standard Chartered Marathon

7 Dec 08, 星期天,晴
Finally, the day has arrived! The big race! D-Day!.... (heh heh)
Slept early last night just to make sure that I have ample rest before the race, cos had got up at 3 am to prepare. Met my kakis at 4.30am to hitch a ride to the start point.
This year had seen a record turnout! 15,ooo people running Full Marathon, out of the total 50,000 participants! I guess the finisher's T-shirt is the ultimate prize for most of us at the start

point. Ha ha!
Me and 2 of my running kakis ran as a group, watching out for each other along the way. The run was gruelling. My body and legs were screaming with pain from all the pounding during the run. Had to resort to brisk walk at certain points of the race. "28km...30km...35km..." as I recalled counting down at the last stretch of the race.
Lucky for us, we had a good, cool weather at the start. And most of all, we had some great logistical support from 2 great souls, brothers. They provided food supplements and drinks, deep heat rub and spray for our soring muscles.

Towards the last 2 km stretch of the race, we had our die-hard cheer-team to give us that final push towards the finishing line! It was truely a morale booster. Though the body and legs are telling me that they might dis-integrate anytime, but my eyes tells me that there are many great supporters out there cheering for us. So it's mind over matter as we opened up our stride and give it all out for the final finish!
And finally, we saw the sign that we've been longing to see... the finishing point! We held our hands, formed into a single row and crossed the finishing line with our arms and head high.



WE DID IT!

No comments: